running balance for entire spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Jackie
    Guest

    running balance for entire spreadsheet

    Hi! I need some help!
    Is there any way to write a formula that would look over an entire
    spreadsheet and add values based on criteria in another column? example: I
    have a spreadsheet with about 1000 rows & 5 columns. Of the 5 columns 2
    would have the values I am looking for. example: Column B - row 2: $415,
    row 3: $360, row 4: $500, Row 5: $750 etc. Column C - row 2: 5, row 3: 1,
    row 4: 5, row 5 : 2 .. I would like the formula look over all the rows and
    come back with something like =if (c2=5,b2) ... I would like it to add all
    the values in column b that has critera in column c such as 5 ... this
    example would come back with a total of $915 since both row 2 & row 4 have
    values of 5 .... is this making any sense?
    Thank you !
    --
    Jackie

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: running balance for entire spreadsheet

    your descrition of the criteria is pretty sketchy but you may have success
    with sumif(),or combinations and subtotals of sumif()
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: running balance for entire spreadsheet

    Could be soemthing like this:

    your B your C search sum
    125,00 2 1 88,00
    15,00 5 2 189,00
    72,00 7 3 0,00
    12,50 8 4 16,00
    16,00 4 5 112,00
    45,00 5 6 0,00
    88,00 1 7 72,00
    52,00 5 8 102,50
    64,00 2 9 0,00
    90,00 8

    Formula in E2 and down: =SUMIF($C$2:$C$11;D2;$B$2:$B$11)

    You may have to replace the semicolons with commas.

    Hans

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: running balance for entire spreadsheet

    Hi Jackie

    One way
    =SUMIF(C:C,5,B:B)
    Change the 5 to any other criterion you require.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...