Nested SUMIF?

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Nested SUMIF?

    Hi I have a table with data; date, type, discription and value.

    In a separte sheet im trying to sum up data from this table depending on the variables. I know that SUMIF can sum up all values depending on i.e. type value matches the choicen variable. Or I can use DPRODUCT if I need more then one variable...

    my problem is that Im trying to sum all value or a certain type (i.e. Apples) and with a certain time period (i.e. january month of 2006).

    I can't seem to get DPRODUCT to work as of the way my spreadsheet is set up.. similar to a budget..

    So is there a way to use SUMIF in a nested way? or is there other more advanced functions?

    Thanks for all help,

    Chris

  2. #2

    Re: Nested SUMIF?

    You can use =sumproduct()

    =sumproduct(--(sheet1!a1:a100="Apples"),
    --(text(sheet1!b1:b100,"yyyymm")="200601"),
    (c1:c100))

    =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
    to 1's and 0's.

    Adjust the range, but don't use the whole column.

    Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail here:

    And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

    ===
    You may also want to look at building summary tables using data|Pivottable.

    If you want to read more about pivottables...

    Here are a few links:

    Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
    And Debra's own site:

    John Walkenbach also has some at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
    (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

    Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

    MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
    http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx

  3. #3