substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in another cell.

  1. #1
    flummi
    Guest

    substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in another cell.

    Hi all,

    suppose I have this cell reference: ='c:\[file.xls]sheet1'!X1

    and I have the file name "file.xls" in cell A1 on my active worksheet

    Is there a way to any of the following:

    - include the string in A1 in the above cell reference between the
    square brackets?
    - take the complete path (c:\[file.xls]) from a cell on my worksheet?

    or do I have to TYPE the complete path in the above cell reference?

    Thanks for thinking about it.

    Hans

  2. #2
    NAVEEN
    Guest

    RE: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in anoth

    Hi,

    Assuming "file.xls" is in A1, type the following in any cell of active sheet.

    ="'c:\["&A1&"]sheet1'!X1"

    and take the result of this cell.

    With kind regards,

    NAVEEN

  3. #3
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in another cell.

    Hans

    To include another cell's value in the reference you need to use the
    INDIRECT function

    =INDIRECT("'c:\["&A1&"]sheet1'!X1")

    To get the full path you use the CELL function. CELL("filename") will
    return the full path, followed by sheet name. To get just the path:

    =LEFT(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename")))

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides

  4. #4
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in anoth

    Hi Naveen,

    thanks for your reply.

    That's how far I had got. But the next bit is the interesting part.

    When you say "take the result of this cell" how would you do that?

    Let me give you an example. Suppose X1 actually is a range X1:X10

    How would you incorporate the string you suggested (lets say in B1)
    into e.g. an =average function?

    =average(????,X1:X10)

    Thanks,

    Hans

  5. #5
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in anoth

    I had not realized that INDIRECT is not needed for the workbook part of
    a reference (thanks for the post Naveen). But it certainly is needed
    for range specifications in functions

    =AVERAGE(INDIRECT("'c:\["&A1&"]sheet1'!X1:X10")

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides

  6. #6
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in anoth

    Thanks all for the excellent brainwork!

    Till next time. :-)

    Hans

  7. #7
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in anoth

    Sorry, it doesn't work. Always delivers a #REF.

    A1: Example.xls
    =INDIRECT("'C:\["&A1&"]Expenses'!$G$12") gives #REF

    This is what ="'C:\["&A1&"]Expenses'!$G$12" delivers:

    'C:\[Example.xls]Expenses'!$G$12

    Maybe it's not possible at all?

    Hans

  8. #8
    Hans,
    I tested all the solutions I provided.

    If your formula delivers
    'C:\[Example.xls]Expenses'!$G$12
    and you want the INDIRECT of this and you are getting #REF!, is it possible that:
    - Example.xls is not directly in C:\ ?
    - Example.xls does not contain a sheet Expenses?

    Regards

    Kostis

    Quote Originally Posted by flummi

  9. #9
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in another cell.

    Thanks Kostis,

    for investigating this. Hope I don't take too much of your time.

    What I did is this:

    I loaded the workbook "example.xls
    Then I created a new workbook
    In this new workbook I created a simple cell reference to a cell in
    example.xls
    Then I closed example.xls
    That gave me the full path in my reference in the new workbook.
    Then I copied the filename "example.xls" from the above reference into
    cell A1 in my new workbook
    Then I copied the formula into another cell and modified it as you
    suggested (indirect(....)
    That gave me the #REF whilst the old formula still delivered the
    correct result.

    Here's a "screenshot"

    Example.xls

    904 #REF!

    ='C:\[Example.xls]Expenses'!$G$12 <-- formula that delivers 904
    =INDIRECT("'c:\["&A1&"]Expenses'!$G$12") <-- formula that delivers
    #REF
    'c:\[Example.xls]Expenses'!$G$12 <-- this is what I get when I strip
    off the indirect() function from the previous command

    Hans

  10. #10
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in another cell.

    Hans,

    I think it has to do with the file being closed. If you insert INDIRECT
    while the referenced file is open it will display correctly 904. If you
    close it nothing will change until recalculation takes place. Try it
    and let me know.

    Kostis

  11. #11
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in another cell.

    Correct!

    When the file is open it displays the correct result.

    Thanks Kostis, for taking the time.

    Hans

  12. #12
    vezerid
    Guest

    Re: substitute the filename in a cell reference with a string in another cell.

    You are welcome Hans. Glad to be of help.

    Kostis