Sort data into order of product

  1. #1
    Jackmac
    Guest

    Sort data into order of product

    Hi there,

    I've got a list of products for my company but it is listed in product
    group, the products for that group coming underneath.. like this:

    MT-AUDIO-MOUNTS:
    Vogels VRS045 VCR/DVD support in black
    Vogels VRS045 VCR/DVD support in silver
    Vogels VRS045 VCR/DVD support in white

    MT-SPEAKER-WALL:
    Vogels VLB100 tilting speaker wall mount in black
    Vogels VLB1015 center speaker wall mount in silver
    Vogels VLB1025 speaker wall mount in silver
    Vogels VLB200 speaker wall mount in black
    Vogels VLB50 speaker wall mount in black
    Vogels VLB50 speaker wall mount in silver
    Vogels VLB50 speaker wall mount in white

    MT-SPEAKER-WALL:
    Kef 3 x wall brackets for KHT1001

    MT-AUDIO-MOUNTS:
    B-Tech BT325 disco/PA speaker mount in black
    B-Tech BT325K fixing kit for BT325
    B-Tech BT325X adaptor for external mount

    I want if possible to create a new list which will show the product group
    with the products underneath..like this

    MT-AUDIO-MOUNTS:
    B-Tech BT325 disco/PA speaker mount in black
    B-Tech BT325K fixing kit for BT325
    B-Tech BT325X adaptor for external mount
    Vogels VRS045 VCR/DVD support in black
    Vogels VRS045 VCR/DVD support in silver
    Vogels VRS045 VCR/DVD support in white

    MT-SPEAKER-WALL:
    Kef 3 x wall brackets for KHT1001
    Vogels VLB100 tilting speaker wall mount in black
    Vogels VLB1015 center speaker wall mount in silver
    Vogels VLB1025 speaker wall mount in silver
    Vogels VLB200 speaker wall mount in black
    Vogels VLB50 speaker wall mount in black
    Vogels VLB50 speaker wall mount in silver
    Vogels VLB50 speaker wall mount in white

    Anybody got any ideas?

    TIA...Jack

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Sort data into order of product

    A cursory look suggests that you could use a macro to look for "wall" with
    INSTR.
    Look in VBA help for instr and incorporate into a loop.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Sort data into order of product

    Are those entries in a single column?

    Are the groups always separated by a blank cell?

    Are the group descriptions always in upper case?

    I'm gonna guess yes to the first and second question and ignore your answer to
    the third...

    Your data will be much easier to sort if you have the group description on each
    row.

    One way to do that is:
    Insert a new column A.
    In A1, put: =B1
    (Just to get us started)

    In A2, put: =IF(B1="",B2,A1)
    And drag down the list.

    Select column A.
    Edit|copy
    edit|paste special|Values

    Now insert another new column A and put this in A1:
    =IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B1,B1)=1,B1,IF(or(B1=C1,c1=""),"delete",""))
    and drag down.

    Select column A.
    Edit|copy
    edit|paste special|Values
    Apply data|filter|autofilter to column A
    show the deletes
    select those cells
    edit|delete|entire row.
    (and data|filter|show all)

    Now select A:C
    Data|Sort
    no header row
    primary sort is column B
    secondary sort is column A (descending)
    tertiary sort is by column C

    Then delete columns A:B
    Or if you need a blank row between each group, do a Data|subtotals using column
    B.