Excel Dates!!

  1. #1
    slvtenn
    Guest

    Excel Dates!!

    how can i lock a cell to where it want change after save and close.
    Example: if i use =TODAY() in a cell, everytime i open that spreadsheet
    the current date will appear even after i save it and i need the
    original. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Excel Dates!!

    "slvtenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > how can i lock a cell to where it want change after save and close.
    > Example: if i use =TODAY() in a cell, everytime i open that spreadsheet
    > the current date will appear even after i save it and i need the
    > original. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

    Are you saying that you want the date to change every time you open the
    sheet, or not?

  3. #3
    slvtenn
    Guest

    Re: Excel Dates!!

    No i want it to stay with the original date that the sheet was saved.

  4. #4
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Excel Dates!!

    You can put the following VBA code in the Workbook module in the OnOpen event
    to set the date in cell A1 to the current date if there is not a date value
    already present. If there is a date the code does nothing

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()

    Dim wb As Workbook
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim varVal As Variant
    Dim r As Range

    Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
    Set ws = wb.Sheets("Sheet1")
    Set r = Range("A1")
    varVal = r.Value

    If IsDate(varVal) Then
    GoTo exitWBOpen
    Else
    ws.Unprotect
    r.Value = Date
    ws.Protect
    End If

    exitWBOpen:

    Set wb = Nothing
    Set ws = Nothing
    Set r = Nothing
    Exit Sub

    Kevin Backmann

  5. #5
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Excel Dates!!

    "slvtenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > No i want it to stay with the original date that the sheet was saved.

    OK....stay tuned for about an hour. I can't start Excel right now, due to
    too many other apps running. But, I did something like this a few years
    back, to keep track of how often people were using a sheet I made for them.
    Hopefully, I still have it here somewhere. If you want to experiment in the
    meanwhile, it was based on two very simple things:

    1) If you put the cursor in that date cell which contains =NOW(), do CTRL-C,
    then Edit, Paste Special, Value, it'll replace the formula with a static
    version of the time at that moment. I recorded these keystrokes - very
    simple.

    2) It's possible to run a macro every time a sheet's opened or closed. Poke
    around on google for "auto open macro excel", and you should also find the
    method for running a macro automatically when a sheet closes.

    The only thing to think about is that the NEXT time you close the sheet,
    that cell will contain the static date, not the =NOW() formula. There are a
    few simple ways around this.

  6. #6
    slvtenn
    Guest