Conditional Formatting Recognizing Greatest Value

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Conditional Formatting Recognizing Greatest Value

    I am trying to apply a conditional format to a range of weeks, I want the week with the greatest build percent highlighted:

    store wk1 wk2 wk3
    1 -32% 50% 75%
    2 -20%30% 40%

    I would like store 1's week 3 highlighted and store 2's week 3 highlighted because these weeks represent the highest percent build.

    Can I use a conditional format or is there another way to highlight the greatest value?

  2. #2
    Jim May
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting Recognizing Greatest Value

    While In Cell B2, go to Format Conditional Formatting and
    select Formula Is and in Text box enter:

    =B2=MAX($B2:$D2)
    choose Pattern Color,
    And OK out

    With B2 as the source Paint it
    and paint the other cells C2,D2,B3,C3.D3

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Use the MAX function in the CF.

    Assuming your array is A1:D3. In B2, apply the following CF.

    Formula is: =B2=MAX($B2:$D2) apply your format.

    Use the format painter to apply this to your other cells. It will not change the MAX range when applied left to right but it will as you move up or down.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    The highest build value in the worksheet is not highlighted using this formula?

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    I assume that you want the 75% for store 1 and the 40% for store 2 correct? When you enter the formula, be sure that your range has the $ in front of it as it is shown in both posts. If you do not, your CF will not apply correctly when copying it to the other cells using the format painter. If you have more weeks, you have to extend your range to include those weeks as well.

    Does that help?

    Steve

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    No, the range of weeks is correct, when I go to say cell z2, the conditional format is =z2=max($e2:$az2).

    But the highest value is not highlighted, I have check my formatting to assure a highlight will appear, and it is correct.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Ok, I figured it out, I had a hidden column in between each of the build columns, when I deleted those colums(which I do not want to) the formula works, so the spread sheet is:

    store saleswk1 buildwk1 sales wk2 build wk2
    1 20 30% 50 80%

    I want to be able to highlight the 80% based only on columns with the build formula and not the sales column.