Auto Recovery won't work

  1. #1
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Auto Recovery won't work

    Hi. I had a power failure.
    When I restarted my computer and opened Excel, the recovery panel won't appear!
    I did click on "auto recovery" option and set it to save for every 2 mins!
    I checked the files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Excel, there's only 1 file called "Excel10.xlb"

    MS Word managed to recover my files!

    Some time ago, Excel auto recovery won't succeed! But the recovered files
    suddenly appear in front of me after 1 month or so. It's so strange!

    How can I get back the missing recovered Excel files?

    Thank you!

    --
    Additional information:
    - I'm using Office XP

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    Generally it is very reliable (certainly more so than the add-in in earlier
    versions). You appear to be looking in the right place (Check under
    Tools>Options>Save) but bear in mind you will need to do this through
    windows explorer as the file doesn't have an xls extension, it will be some
    random name and no extension. If it is there simply add an .xls extension
    and it will be able to be opened

    Hope it works out for you

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    I don't recall changing this setting (xl2003 and winXP home) and that file is
    located in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Peterson\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\

    But I've always noticed that the files have an extension of .xar (eXcel
    AutoRecovery?).

    But if the OP doesn't see a file under that version of their folder, then I
    don't think excel thinks that there's a file to be recovered.

    (I've sometimes copied that *.xar file to a new folder (with excel closed) and
    renamed it to *.xls and used it like any other "normal" .xls file.)

  4. #4
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    Dave

    You're undoubtedly right with the extension, I was only noticing quite often
    that people look through the Excel open dialog and don't change the 'files
    of type' to *.* (all). They then resume it's not there

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    And lots of people haven't changed the windows setting to turn off the "hide
    extensions for known files".

    So the other extensions are hidden, too.

  6. #6
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    Thanks for all your reply!
    All are done - look through Windows Explorer, select "show hidden/system files"
    & "show all extensions".
    There's only 1 folder and 1 file there - "XLSTART" folder and Excel10.xlb
    I searched for deleted files using some "deleted file restoration" software in
    vain!
    I think I'm in bad luck! >_<"

    It doesn't appear once. It seems the auto recovery in Excel is somewhat broken,
    but Word auto recovery works just fine!
    What can I do to repair the auto recovery service (for Excel) in my computer?

    --
    Additional information:
    - I'm using Office XP

  7. #7

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    You may want to try a test.

    Start excel
    verify your autorecovery settings
    start a new workbook
    do some work and let the autorecovery file get created
    kill excel using alt-ctrl-delete

    Start it excel again and see if works.

    ====
    In fact, you should be able to just work on any file normally and after
    autorecovery saves the backup file, you should be able to open windows explorer
    and go to that folder that holds the autorecovery file and see if it's there.

    When I see bad things happen like this, I'm hesitant to blame excel. It's
    usually my own error.

  8. #8
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> ???
    news:[email protected] ???...
    > You may want to try a test.
    >
    > Start excel
    > verify your autorecovery settings
    > start a new workbook
    > do some work and let the autorecovery file get created
    > kill excel using alt-ctrl-delete
    >
    > Start it excel again and see if works.
    >
    > ====

    I did it previously. It works, but this makes things really strange.
    It's not the first time already.
    It seems auto recovery will fail if I do not recover the files immediately (eg
    power crash, hibernation failure)
    Auto recovery works just fine for manual crash (Eg Ctrl+Alt+Del, or using Office
    Application Recovery software).
    I have no chance to try the "real" Excel crash.

    > In fact, you should be able to just work on any file normally and after
    > autorecovery saves the backup file, you should be able to open windows

    explorer
    > and go to that folder that holds the autorecovery file and see if it's there.
    >
    > When I see bad things happen like this, I'm hesitant to blame excel. It's
    > usually my own error.

    But what errors/mistakes did I make?
    The incident keeps happening which is annoying.
    I just don't know what parts go wrong!
    Only that am I able to reslove that problem.

    Any clues? Any workarounds?
    Thank you!

  9. #9

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    My guess was that you dismissed the dialog that asked whether you wanted to
    recover the files that excel saved. I could be wrong about you, but I've done
    that in the past.

  10. #10
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    --
    Additional information:
    - I'm using Office XP

    ?????????. ??????, ???????!!
    After all, the above are merely my little opinion/idea.
    Since my ability is limited, I could be wrong.
    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> ???
    news:[email protected] ???...
    > My guess was that you dismissed the dialog that asked whether you wanted to
    > recover the files that excel saved. I could be wrong about you, but I've done
    > that in the past.

    No for sure!
    After the power failure, the first time I did when I restart my computer was to
    open Excel/Word and saved the files.
    As said previously, no "recovery" panel was shown.

    And it did not happen for the first time, so I don't think I will keep making
    such a silly mistake unknowingly.

    And I did search for deleted files by third-party software in vain.
    Wait! How Excel name the recovered files (random names or "auto recovery of<my
    file name>), and what's its extension?
    Thank you.

  11. #11

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    The file is in that user selectable folder--check tools|options|save tab for
    your folder name.

    And the extension is .xar.

  12. #12
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    --
    Additional information:
    - I'm using Office XP

    ?????????. ??????, ???????!!
    After all, the above are merely my little opinion/idea.
    Since my ability is limited, I could be wrong.
    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> ???
    news:[email protected] ???...
    > The file is in that user selectable folder--check tools|options|save tab for
    > your folder name.

    I know the location of the folder.
    But how about the file names?

  13. #13

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    The file names vary. The extension doesn't.

  14. #14
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Re: Auto Recovery won't work

    No luck!
    No file is found!
    That's troublesome. My auto recovery doesn't work properly.

    --
    Additional information:
    - I'm using Office XP

  15. #15