Setting Manual Calculation on Specific Cells Only

  1. #1
    Jim Hagan
    Guest

    Setting Manual Calculation on Specific Cells Only

    Hi all,

    Is there a way within Excel to set the calculation mode for a single cell to
    manual, while keeping the rest of the workbook on Automatic calculation mode.

    Thanks for any help provided,

    Jim

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Setting Manual Calculation on Specific Cells Only

    Hi Jim,

    Not exactly.
    But do visit:

    http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsg.htm

    Or, tell us what you're trying to achieve

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jim Hagan
    Guest

    Re: Setting Manual Calculation on Specific Cells Only

    Here's the scenario ....

    I have a worksheet cell that calls a user-defined function. The
    user-defined function, in turn, relies on inputs from other spreadsheet cells
    that are part of an iterative calculation procedure. Since the user-defined
    function is not really needed for every iteration step (ie. doesn't change
    that much), and since it's fairly computational intensive, I'd like to have
    the ability to turn off manual calculation only for that particular cell
    which calls the function. After my iterative calculation procedure has
    converged, I would then like to update the function value, and re-run the
    iterative procedure.

    Jim

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Setting Manual Calculation on Specific Cells Only

    Hi Jim,

    Best practice: All input to your UDF should be included in the argument list
    (of the function call and of course the function definition).
    There are hardly any or even no cases where you need Application.Volatile if
    you follow this practice.
    Doing it this way cells with UDF calls will not be recalculated
    unnecessarily.
    Post again in this thread if you still have questions or doubts. Do include
    your code and the formulas and values with which they are called.