Associated Numerical Values

  1. #1
    kdoggity
    Guest

    Associated Numerical Values

    I'm trying to create a formula that references two cells. In each of the
    cells is a drop down box with three options. The options aren't numbers. Is
    there a way to associate values to those options so that the formula will
    result in a numerical total?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Associated Numerical Values

    =MATCH(A1,{"a","b","c"},0)+MATCH(A2,{"x","y","z"},0)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    kdoggity
    Guest

    Re: Associated Numerical Values

    that's not working. perhaps I'm not entering it correctly. I'll tell you
    what I've got. Cell D5 has a drop down with A,B,C. Cell E5 has a drop down
    with the same thing, A,B,C. I want A to equal 15, B to equal 20, and C to
    equal 30. I want Cell F5 to equal the sum of D5, and E5. Is that possible?
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Associated Numerical Values

    =VLOOKUP(A1,{"A",15;"B",20;"C",30},2,FALSE)+VLOOKUP(A2,{"A",15;"B",20;"C",30
    },2,FALSE)