Display adjacent cell as result...

  1. #1
    prspiderman
    Guest

    Display adjacent cell as result...

    Hello Gang:
    I have two colums, Column A (Val1) and Column B (a number such as 456). If
    I use the expression =max(b1:b10) I get the highest value for that column,
    but what what I need is the adjacent cell name such as Val1.

    Thanks for the help in advance...
    --
    Rafy Rivera

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Display adjacent cell as result...

    =INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(MAX(B1:B10),B1:B10,0))

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Display adjacent cell as result...

    Use MATCH() to find in what row the maximum is located and then INDIRECT() go
    get the text value from column A:

    in C1 enter:
    =MAX(B1:B10) your max should appear

    in D1 enter:
    =MATCH(C1,B1:B10) the correct row number holding max should appear

    in E1 enter:
    =INDIRECT("A" & D1) the text in col A for that row should appear
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    prspiderman
    Guest

    RE: Display adjacent cell as result...

    Niek and Student, I really appreciate your time and expertise.

    Thanks, problem solved, situation under control
    --
    Rafy Rivera
    "Airborne Leads the way"