formula to calculate difference between dates and times

  1. #1
    Breezie
    Guest

    formula to calculate difference between dates and times

    I need to set up a spreadsheet where the nurses will be typing in the date
    and time of an assault and the date and time of an exam. I need the
    spreadsheet to calculate the amount of hours that have passed between the two
    dates. So if the victim was assaulted on 02/24/06 at 9:00 PM and comes into
    the hospital for an exam on 02/26/06 at 11:30 AM, I need to know how much
    time in hours has passed between the day and time of the assault and the
    examination. I am working on Excel 2000.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: formula to calculate difference between dates and times

    How is the data entered? If the assault date/time is in B2 and the exam
    date/time is in C2, the elapsed time, in hours is =24*(c2-b2). Format the
    result as a decimal number. If the data is entered with dates and times in
    different cells, the general formula would be =24*(exam time cell + exam date
    cell - assualt time cell - assault date cell).
    --Bruce

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: formula to calculate difference between dates and times

    The entry of the time and date and the formatting of the result (formula)
    cell are the governing factors here.

    It's probably easier to use a *single* cell for date and time entry, with 24
    hour time format.

    If Column A is assault date and time, enter in this fashion:
    2/24/06<Space>17:00

    Same for exam in Column B:
    2/26/06<Space>11:30

    Now, in Column C:
    =B1-A1
    And custom format to:
    [h]mm

    The square brackets prevent the hours greater then 24 from rolling over into
    days.
    --

    HTH,

    RD