Converting Text to Time format of XX:XX

  1. #1
    Marck
    Guest

    Converting Text to Time format of XX:XX

    I have a question on converting number in text to time format of 24 hours.

    The information is copied from another data file and gets pasted as a text
    file of 4 digits. IE: 'XXXX

    I tried the formula of =VALUE(LEFT(D2,2))&":"&(VALUE(RIGHT(D2,2)))
    to get a time format but it is loosing #s when converting 0.

    IE 0503 converted is 5:3
    it misses the 2nd 0 Any suggestions to keep both 0 so it will come out
    05:03???

    any and all help would be appreciated.. Thanks

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Converting Text to Time format of XX:XX

    If you want a real time value, as opposed to a text string that looks like a
    time, you can use =time(left(d2,2),right(d2,2),0). If you just want to
    insert the :, you can use =left(d2,2)&":"&right(d2,2).
    --Bruce

  3. #3
    Marck
    Guest

    RE: Converting Text to Time format of XX:XX

    Thank you but I need it to show just the 4 digits. No AM or PM after it.

    0503 converted to 05:03

    Thanks any suggestions?

  4. #4
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Converting Text to Time format of XX:XX

    Then go with the second option offered: =left(d2,2)&":"&right(d2,2).