Reference & update destin. cells on 1st machine from source workbook on 2nd machine

  1. #1

    Reference & update destin. cells on 1st machine from source workbook on 2nd machine

    Hi, I have a question about linking and updating cells referencing
    another workbook on another machine on a home network.

    I have a workbook opened on machine A on my home network. On a second
    machine B located on the same network, I have a second workbook opened
    and on this workbook B I want a range of cells to reference a range in
    workbook A and update in real time (if it is possible in this case).

    I have formatted the destination each destination cell on machine B
    using the formula
    ='\\SourceMachineA\directory:\[WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1'!A25

    When I enter the formula I get prompted with an "Update values" dialog
    box and after pointing it to the source workbook, the value in the cell
    gets updated correctly; so I know that the formula is formatted
    correctly insofar as it points to the right location. However, this is
    the only time when I can get the value to update

    Is it possible to do what I am trying to do (directly reference a cell
    from another workbook on a second machine located on the local network)
    and if yes, what am I doing wrong? If it is impossible, what are the
    alternatives to accomplish the task?

    All help and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

    Joe

  2. #2
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: Reference & update destin. cells on 1st machine from source workbook on 2nd machine

    As far as my (limited) knowledge goes, there isn't an existing
    inbuilt feature to do what you want.
    The closest thing to what you want that I'm aware of is "Share
    Workbook" on the Tools menu, but that still doesn't display changes
    in real time.When you enter your reference formula in your example
    below, I think that what's happening is that you're referencing the
    last saved copy of the file, rather than the current values as
    displayed on MachineA.
    I don't know if it's practical, or if would create too much overhead,
    but one work-around might be to run an "On Entry" macro on MachineA
    that saves the file every time a change is made, and have another
    macro running on MachineB that does an "Update Values" every x
    minutes (or seconds?).
    Not much help I'm afraid ....
    Rgds,
    ScottO

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Reference & update destin. cells on 1st machine from source workbook on 2nd machine

    Hi. Thanks for the reply. The solution described would not work well in
    this case because the updates to the source cells are too frequent.
    However it could indeed be good for other uses.

    Thanks again,

    Joe