A Excel workbook, on a shared drive, gets different results from different users

  1. #1

    A Excel workbook, on a shared drive, gets different results from different users

    Basically what's happening is I have a shared drive that all the users have access to, and as far as I know have all the same permissions. What happens is, if I browse to the shared drive, and open the file, It looks different than if one of my colegues opens up the same file from his desk. It doesn't matter who opens it up first, it's always different. Now here's where it gets strange. If he opens up the file, and saves a copy of it, and sends it to me, it looks the same as it always has on my PC. If I save a copy of the file from my PC and send it to my colegue it looks the same to him as it has always looked on his PC. It doesn't matter where he gets the file from, it always looks the same for him. Everyone else is fine excelt this one user. It sounds like an application problem, and not a permissions problem, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: A Excel workbook, on a shared drive, gets different results from d

    Be sure this one user is opening the actual file from the network, and not
    opening the same filename from his own harddrive..........have him use
    Windows Explorer to open the file and not a desktop icon or his
    RecentlyUsedFileList either of which may be calling the file from his
    harddrive. Maybe change the name of the file on the network temporarily and
    have him open it......that way he'll have to go to the network to get it.

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3

    RE: An Excel workbook, on a shared drive, gets different results from...

    I had originally thought that might be it, so what I did was opened the file from the shared drive, and saved a copy of it to my hard drive, under a completely different name. When I opened the file, it looked fine, and I had no problems with it, so I sent this user the newley named file. When he opened up the brand new file, he had the same results as before. (A bunch of the tolals were wrong) and it looks like an older saved version of the file.

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: A Excel workbook, on a shared drive, gets different results fr

    Maybe his is a different version of Excel that does not support all the
    features employed in the file, or maybe the file requires the Analysis
    Add-in and he might not have it.......or maybe the file links to a file which
    he does not have access to........

    You said....
    >(A bunch of the tolals were wrong) and it looks
    > like an older saved version of the file.

    This really makes it look like he's STILL not bringing up the new file, but
    rather an older version probably saved on his hard drive.........maybe do a
    search of his hard drive and if the file is found there, dump it or rename it.

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3