Can't create blank from IF - any way around

  1. #1
    Bingo Accent
    Guest

    Can't create blank from IF - any way around

    Hi,

    I'm using the following to create a data validation list:

    =OFFSET(C$100,0,0,COUNTA(C$100:C$200),1)

    At C100 through to C200 I have

    =IF(ISTEXT('Status list'!C1),'Status list'!C1,"")

    (Status List is a separate worksheet of options for various drop-down
    lists through the workbook - you can't use data validation with
    references across worksheets)

    The idea is that I can, as time goes by, add options on the Status List
    sheet - up to 100 options), without needing to play around with data
    validation.

    The problem I have, is that "" is not interpreted as blank by the data
    validation, with the result that the drop-down list appears empty
    unless you scroll up to find the actual list at the top.

    Having had a look at other posts I see that IF formulae cannot return a
    true blank (I've even tried using a reference to a blank cell, but this
    still returns a '0').

    Any suggestions???

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Can't create blank from IF - any way around

    Try

    =OFFSET(C$100,0,0,SUMPRODUCT(--(C$100:C$200<>"")),1)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...