Access/Excel: Create multiple Lines/Column out of one mulit-line Column?

  1. #1
    Julian
    Guest

    Access/Excel: Create multiple Lines/Column out of one mulit-line Column?

    Hallo everyone!

    I spent a lot of time today searching for a response to my question but
    I had unfortunately no success.
    The problem is the following:
    I have got an Access-table called Employee with an ID and one
    corresponding Field/Column called comment. These comments are stupidly
    multi-line (separated by a Return).
    It's my aim to have access (he he, wordplay) to these two fields in
    Excel whereas the field shouldn't be longer that 255 characters.
    I considered three solutions:
    The table could be changed after being exported to excel in the
    following two ways:
    - Multiple Comment Columns could be created and then be filled by an
    automatism which splits the one Column according to the CR-Signs.
    - A new Worksheet could be used to contain n lines for each Employee
    whereas n is in accordance with the number of lines of the original
    multi-line column comment.
    Something like
    ID Comment
    10 a long comment\newline\more text

    Would result in:
    ID Comment
    10 a long comment
    10 more text

    The second solution would be the best due to the further handling of
    the data.

    Another solution would be programming something like this directly in
    Access. Sadly, I have nearly no skills neither in programming access
    nor in programming something like that in Excel.
    I would be so delighted if someone could help me!

    Regards,

    Julian

    PS: Excuse me for my "German English"

  2. #2
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: Access/Excel: Create multiple Lines/Column out of one mulit-lineColumn?

    I'm not sure this will solve your problem, but it is an approach I often
    use for reformating data. It does not require any programming.

    As I understand it, you have an ACCESS data table, and one of the data
    fields includes a RETURN. From what you say, it also appears that you
    are able to copy the contents of that table into an EXCEL spreadsheet.

    My approach would be to paste that EXCEL data into a Microsoft Word
    document as a TABLE. Then using WORD's Search and Replace tool, remove
    all of the "RETURNS." You can search for "RETURNS" using ^p . Once you
    have all the "RETURNS" removed, you can copy the table back into Excel
    and process as I believe you desire.

    WindsurferLA

  3. #3
    windsurferLA