Data Validation

  1. #1
    Kevin
    Guest

    Data Validation

    Hi

    I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
    www.contextures.com

    From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source
    to link to a list and update automatically as new entires to my list are
    added / deleted

    =OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)

    The problem is I can still enter values not in the list (there are no
    blank spaces when I select the list) and I would like to restrict this so
    that only values on the list can be entered

    Through help on this forum I have figured the issue is most likely related
    to the fact that above formula refers to a named range (eg "RegionStart")
    rather than specific cells (eg $A$1). Any idea why this is or other options
    for me

    thanks
    --
    Kevin

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    Hi Kevin

    I would think the most likely cause is that the Error Alert box is not
    checked on the third tab of the Data Validation setup dialogue.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kevin
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    sorry should have stated somebody pointed this out but this does not fix my
    problem as it was already checked - I even changed the style from "Warning"
    to "Stop".

    Have done more testing -the problem seems to be that the reference of my
    named range contains blank cells. so my formula below excludes these when I
    look in the drop down list but I think it still allows for the fact that
    there are blank cells in the range and hence allows me add anything

    any solutions to this?
    --
    Kevin