Is there a way to tally 3 different values in one column?

  1. #1
    Anayray
    Guest

    Is there a way to tally 3 different values in one column?

    Is there a way to pull the tally of 3 different values and have the tally
    posted to a diffrernt column. Example: One colum has 16 ones 63 twos and 97
    threes, but this inforamtion is listed sorted within one column. I do not
    want to sort, as it will alter my input dates. is there a formula where I can
    extract the total tally of each indvidual number 1, 2, 3, and have that tally
    in a different feild?

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to tally 3 different values in one column?

    Hi

    Have a look at COUNTIF or SUMIF.

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Use the SUMIF function. Where A is your range.

    For 1

    =SUMIF($A$1:$A$176,1,$A$1:$A$176)

    Change the 1 in the formula to sum the other values (2,3)

    HTH

    Steve

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Is there a way to tally 3 different values in one column?

    Perhaps one of these methods will help:

    Try the COUNTIF function.
    Example: =COUNTIF(A1:A100,2)
    That counts the number of cells in the range A1:A100 that only contain the
    number 2.

    OR
    You could try a Pivot Table. It would automatically create a table of
    unique values in your range and display the count of each item.
    (If you decide to use a Pivot table and need more help, just post your
    questions)

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  5. #5
    Anayray
    Guest

    RE: Is there a way to tally 3 different values in one column?

    Thanks so much! I am quite new to Excel- all is appreciated.