shortcut for x^2 (power)

  1. #1
    Khoshravan
    Guest

    shortcut for x^2 (power)

    I use x^2 (power). I want to put the icon for this command in my tool ar. I
    checked view/tools/format/format cell but could not find the icon for this
    command. Where can find this icon and bring to tool bar?
    Your comment is highly appreciated.
    --
    Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
    Civil Engineer

  2. #2
    Wayne
    Guest

    RE: shortcut for x^2 (power)

    Have you tried "ALT+0178" ?

  3. #3
    Khoshravan
    Guest

    RE: shortcut for x^2 (power)

    It doesn't work in my computer. Even if it worked, it is not a wiseway. I
    want to bring the shortcut icon to toolrbar so that only by one click I can
    do this. Alt 0178 needs 4 charcter input and is long
    --
    Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
    Civil Engineer

  4. #4
    NAVEEN
    Guest

    RE: shortcut for x^2 (power)

    Create a macro as follows in an Excel file in "XLStart" folder

    =========================
    Sub InsertSquare()
    Application.SendKeys ("²")
    End Sub
    =========================

    Assign the above macro to a Button using "View->Tool Bars-> Customize"
    Assign a keyboard short (whatever you wish) to it using "Rearrange commands".

    Regards
    NAVEEN

  5. #5
    Khoshravan
    Guest

    RE: shortcut for x^2 (power)

    Dear Naveen
    Thanks for your reply.
    I think Microsoft has already wrote this Macro and it is somewhere inside
    the View command my problem is that I just can't find it. I am not familiar
    with Macro and it is hard for to write it. I prefer to find where is that
    icon. In my previous computers I had it and with this new computer in new
    work palce I cant find it.
    --
    Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
    Civil Engineer

  6. #6
    What's wrong with Shift+6?

  7. #7
    Khoshravan
    Guest

    RE: shortcut for x^2 (power)

    Shift 6 doesn't work. Even Shift F6 doesn'twork.
    I just found out that I have used this icon in Word, not in Excel. In word
    if you go to View/toolbars/user setting/command/ and choose format then you
    will see two icons one power and the other for index. I wonder why these
    icons are not available in Excel?
    --
    Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
    Civil Engineer

  8. #8
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: shortcut for x^2 (power)

    Not sure I understand, but the "^" (Exponentiation Sign) can be added to
    the toolbar by customizing the toolbar....
    Select "Commands" Tab
    Select the "Insert" Categories
    "^" is about half way down the list (Excel 2003)

    --
    HTH. :>)
    Dana DeLouis

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    You can either go to Insert->Symbol and select the ^, but you would have
    to do this everytime you wanted the symbol.

    To put a button in your toolbar go to View->Toolbars->Customize. Under categories select "Insert". Under commands scroll down until you see the ^.
    Select it and drag it to somewhere on your toolbar and it will insert a button.

    What do you mean Shift+6 didn't work? Did it put in nothing or just another symbol? Make sure you are using the numbers above the keyboard for this.

  10. #10
    Khoshravan
    Guest

    Re: shortcut for x^2 (power)

    Thanks for comments. I think I fall short in expressing what do I want to do.
    I want to write 25 (2 to power of 5). 5 should be placed in power position,
    which means should be super indexed (I am not sure about this expression, but
    I mean 5 should be in a higher position). I know that I can go to
    tools/cell/format cell and do this, but it is time consuming esp if I want to
    do it for many times. In word, there is an icon which shows x2 (where 2 is
    placed in a higher position. means that x to power of 2) and by selecting 2
    and clicking the icon it do everything. I don't know why excel doesn't
    provide this icon? How can make it myself?
    --
    Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
    Civil Engineer

  11. #11
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: shortcut for x^2 (power)

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Thanks for comments. I think I fall short in expressing what do I want to do.
    > I want to write 25 (2 to power of 5). 5 should be placed in power position,
    > which means should be super indexed (I am not sure about this expression, but
    > I mean 5 should be in a higher position). I know that I can go to
    > tools/cell/format cell and do this, but it is time consuming esp if I want to
    > do it for many times. In word, there is an icon which shows x2 (where 2 is
    > placed in a higher position. means that x to power of 2) and by selecting 2
    > and clicking the icon it do everything. I don't know why excel doesn't
    > provide this icon? How can make it myself?

    See John Walkenbach's SuperSub add-in at
    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/supersub.htm

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions