Auto Fill with some references locked

  1. #1

    Auto Fill with some references locked

    Hi!

    If I like to create a document that looks like the following where I
    like to see all combinations of prices and monthly fees. (This is a
    simple example)

    I want to use the Auto Fill function, but I want to lock some
    references. If I use Auto Fill on B2 and downwards, I don't get A2+C1,
    but B2+C1. Is it possible to lock A2? Ofcause the same thing happends
    when I try to fill to the right, I get A3+B2 and not A3+B1. Here I want
    to lock B.

    1 2 3 4 (Excel Column)
    A 1 2 3 (Price)
    B 10 A2+B1 A3+B1 A4+B1
    C 20 A2+C1 A3+C1 A4+C1
    D 30 A2+D1 A3+D1 A4+D1
    E 40 A2+E1 A3+E1 A4+E1
    (Month Fee)

    (The sheet is a bit more complicated, with an intrest number that shoud
    be constant reference in all cells.)

    Best Regards,
    Andreas Lundgren

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Auto Fill with some references locked

    Look in the help file for Data Tables. You'll want a 2-way table

  3. #3
    Karen
    Guest

    Re: Auto Fill with some references locked

    Hi Andreas,

    In Excel 2003, when I want an absolute cell reference, (in this example
    A2), I list the cell as this: $A$2

    Placing the dollar signs in front of the row and column should keep
    that cell constant, no matter where it's copied as a formula in other
    cells.

    Good luck with this!

    Karen

  4. #4
    Karen
    Guest

    Re: Auto Fill with some references locked

    Oops, Duke is right. It sounds like your calculations are quite a bit
    more involved with that interest factor included. My apologies!