The Formula is Too Long

  1. #1
    BCBC
    Guest

    The Formula is Too Long

    I am trying to do a find and replace and am getting "formula is too long"
    error message. I'm confused because the column I'm searching doesn't contain
    formulas - just text. Also, the text I'm using in the find and replace box
    isn't very long - I'm using phrases such as ", and managers" and trying to
    replace it with ", and manages". There are 800 lines I'd like to edit so
    being able to do a "replace all" makes it much less time-consuming! Does
    anyone know how to fix this?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    news-server.insight.rr.com
    Guest

    Re: The Formula is Too Long

    > I am trying to do a find and replace and am getting "formula is too long"
    > error message. I'm confused because the column I'm searching doesn't

    contain
    > formulas - just text. Also, the text I'm using in the find and replace box
    > isn't very long - I'm using phrases such as ", and managers" and trying to
    > replace it with ", and manages". There are 800 lines I'd like to edit so
    > being able to do a "replace all" makes it much less time-consuming! Does
    > anyone know how to fix this?

    very tough to tell, it could be lots of things. It sounds like you need to
    go through the troubleshooting process to narrow it down.

    Did you try search/replace on values instead of formulas?

    Does it tell you which cell is too long?

    Does 'search' without 'replace' work?

    I've seen the error before but not for any single reason. As long as this
    is not a known bug, or common problem, you'll have to provide more info.

    cliff

  3. #3
    BCBC
    Guest

    Re: The Formula is Too Long

    Thanks Cliff. In response to your questions:

    1. When I am doing a find only, I can search by values, formulas, or
    comments. However, when I try to do find and replace, the only option it
    gives me is to search by formulas - there are only blank lines below that
    option.

    2. All cells with the desired text are too long. If I am replacing text on a
    cell-by-cell basis, it gives me the error message after I hit the Replace
    button. If I try to use Replace All, it gives me the message after I hit the
    Replace All button.

    3. Yes, Search without Replace works fine.

    Thanks!

    Brook

    3.

  4. #4
    news-server.insight.rr.com
    Guest

    Re: The Formula is Too Long

    "BCBC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks Cliff. In response to your questions:
    >
    > 1. When I am doing a find only, I can search by values, formulas, or
    > comments. However, when I try to do find and replace, the only option it
    > gives me is to search by formulas - there are only blank lines below that
    > option.
    >
    > 2. All cells with the desired text are too long. If I am replacing text on

    > cell-by-cell basis, it gives me the error message after I hit the Replace
    > button. If I try to use Replace All, it gives me the message after I hit

    the
    > Replace All button.

    If you manually go into the cell and do your edit, do you get the 'too long'
    error? or just with 'search/replace'?
    If you get it even manually you may have to split the text into two cells.
    How long is the text?

    Cliff

  5. #5
    BCBC
    Guest

    Re: The Formula is Too Long

    I can go into any of the cells and edit the text (adding to it or taking away
    from it) with normal results. The number of characters in the cells range
    from 850 to ???

  6. #6

    Re: The Formula is Too Long

    I think I saw a post by Jan Karel Pieterse that his newest FlexFind will avoid
    this problem:

    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/

    If you want to mess around with your own macro:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...scapeXSPAM.com

  7. #7
    BCBC
    Guest