Reformat column of telephone numbers

  1. #1
    Maree
    Guest

    Reformat column of telephone numbers

    I have a variety of formats in the one column of phone numbers. Some have
    parentheses, some do not. I would like them to be all formatted the same way.
    It doesn't work through format the cell, special. The other resolution
    given assumes all formats are the same. What do I do with the parentheses on
    some of the entries?
    --
    Maree

  2. #2
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Reformat column of telephone numbers

    you will need to delete the extra charecters so you can format them all the
    same.

    Select Edit->Find
    Click Replace
    In the Find box insert an open parenthesis (
    Leave the replace box empty
    Click Replace all

    Repeat the procedure for the following charecters
    ) (close parenthesis)
    - (dash)
    (space bar)

    you should now have a list of numbers, which can be formated anyway you want.
    For example you can use a custom format of

    (###) ###-####

    to display
    1234567890
    as
    (123) 456-7890

    You will need to do this because if the number is entered with parenthesis
    to begin with, it is treated as text instead of a number. And any custom
    number format won't be applide.

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Reformat column of telephone numbers

    I'd create a helper column that converted all the inputs to numeric values,
    than apply the special formatting. If your phone numbers are in column A,
    starting in row 2, then enter in B2:
    =VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"(",""),")",""),"-",""),"
    ","")). Autofill that formula through column B. Then apply your format and
    copy / paste special values to lock in the values in column B.
    HTH. --Bruce