summing lookup results

  1. #1
    Martyn
    Guest

    summing lookup results

    I have column in which each cell is a value returned from a LOOKUP. the
    values are all numbers. A few of the cells simply have the number entered
    manually.

    I want to have a runnung total of the collumn at the bottom. But the SUM
    formular only adds the numbers manually entered and does not add up the ones
    returned by LOOKUP. How can I get it to add up all the values.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    If the values are truly entered as numbers they will sum in the sum expression. They have been returned by the lookup as text, which might mean that they are text in the first place and hence are excluded from the calculation.

    Your options are to turn them into values (the best option)

    Or for expediency if you enter the floowing as an array presseing ctrl shift enter after entering it, it should be a workround

    =SUM(E8:E12*1)

    E8:E12 needs to be changed to the appropriate range of data

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Chris Marlow
    Guest

    RE: summing lookup results

    Hi,

    It sounds like the 'numbers' being returned by the LOOKUP are actually text
    (that just happen to be numbers).

    If you wrap a VALUE function round your LOOKUP this should make the sum work.

    Regards,

    Chris.

    --
    Chris Marlow
    MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: summing lookup results

    Probably the numbers looked up are text, although they look like numbers.
    Use

    =VALUE(YourLookupFormula)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Martyn
    Guest

    Re: summing lookup results

    Many thanks for all the quick replies.,

    This method seemed the the quickest and worked perfectly.