Many error messages before able to open file

  1. #1
    Jolene
    Guest

    Many error messages before able to open file

    I keep having the error message saying that the file could not be found. It
    will keep appearing for a few times and after I keep clicking OK, then when
    all the error messages are gone, then the file is open. Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Marcus Fox
    Guest

    Re: Many error messages before able to open file

    "Jolene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I keep having the error message saying that the file could not be found.

    It
    > will keep appearing for a few times and after I keep clicking OK, then

    when
    > all the error messages are gone, then the file is open. Can anyone help?
    > Thanks in advance!

    Yes, this is possibly a file with links referring to other spreadsheets
    which have now been moved or deleted - Excel can't find them. You will have
    to check these links when the file is open and update them.

    Marcus

  3. #3
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: Many error messages before able to open file

    If you are running the latest excel, open your file and go to
    edit->Links.

    In the box that comes up, click the button "Break Links". This will
    copy a snapshot of the last cached value into the cell where the
    external link is.

    Another place to look that this will not fix is Insert->Name->Define.
    Sometimes external links get stuck in there with errors that the Break
    Links option will not fix.

    Also, check your custom headers and footers. Sometimes there are links
    in there.

    Good Luck!

    Alex.