Cell Reference

  1. #1
    chrishutson123
    Guest

    Cell Reference

    I have a workbook with 20 worksheets. The first worksheet has historical
    data - for instance, Sheet1 Row 1 has Jan06,Feb06, etc. The rest of the rows
    have dollar amounts. All 19 other worksheets are reports and refer to the
    first worksheet. Rather than going manually through all 19 sheets to change
    the references each month (Manually changing Sheet19!A2 to Sheet19!B2), I
    would like to update the references by maybe adding a worksheet titled
    "ColumnRef" and typing B in A1 for February 2006. So I want Sheet 19 cell A1
    to reference Sheet1!B2 by using "Sheet1" then ColumnRef!A1 (which would be B)
    then 2.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Cell Reference

    This is an interesting question. INDIRECT will allow you to piece together
    an address or cell reference bit-by-bit:

    =INDIRECT("Sheet1!" & ColumnRef!A1 & 2)

    where cell A1 in sheet ColumnRef will contain A, B, etc.

    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Cell Reference

    With B6 typed into cell A1,
    =INDIRECT(A1) will return whatever value is in B6

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    chrishutson123
    Guest

    RE: Cell Reference

    Thanks - you just saved me an immeasurable amount of time!