update data in workbooks through formula

  1. #1
    umba-sr
    Guest

    update data in workbooks through formula

    I need to know if it is possible to copy data that I have stored in one
    workbook, to another workbook, and update it in this other one every time
    values or text change in a first one, just like I do it in single workbook
    between sheets in formula bar.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: update data in workbooks through formula

    Sure, the files would then be linked. Instead of =Sheet2!A1, your formula
    would look like =[Book2.xls]Sheet2!A1. If you make changes in Book2, when
    you open the file with this link in it, you'll get a prompt advising that
    your workbook contains links and asking whether you want to update the data.
    If you answer Yes, the links will be refreshed.

  3. #3
    Vellarian
    Guest

    RE: update data in workbooks through formula

    Hi,
    sorry to add more question, but your answer is getting close to my problem,
    I hope you can give me some advice..

    What if I have file Book3.xls which linked to Book2.xls , and then I made
    changes in Book1.xls.
    Can I get the updated data when I open Book3.xls without having to open
    Book2 ?
    Is it possible for Excel to update its data without opening the "connection"
    file as stored in Book2.xls?

    Thank you so much for everything..