Combining formulas

  1. #1
    jezzica85
    Guest

    Combining formulas

    Hi all,
    I have 2 formulas:
    =IF(LEFT(A1,1)="#",UPPER(MID(A1,1,2)),LOWER(MID(A1,1,2)))&LOWER(MID(A1,3,LEN(A1)))
    and
    =IF(LEFT(C1)="%",UPPER(C1),C1)

    As it is right now, I have to format a column of data using the top formula
    first, then reformat the data with the second formula once the first set is
    copied to the C column. Is there any way to combine these formulas so I can
    do them both in one step? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Combining formulas

    Can there be anything else than # or % as the first character in A1?
    Can you give an example of the string in A1?

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    www.nwexcelsolutions.com

    (remove ^^ from email address)

    Portland, Oregon

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jezzica85
    Guest

    Re: Combining formulas

    There can be a lot of things in A1:
    example
    Example
    EXAMPLE
    #Example
    #Example's
    #EXAMPLE
    #EXAMPLE'S
    %Example
    %example
    %EXAMPLE

    I eventually want everything in front of the % to be uppercase like the last
    example, and only the letter directly after the # to be capitalized.
    Anything without either of those markers goes to lowercase. I know my two
    formulas work fine to do that separately.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Combining formulas

    Assuming you had a typo here "in front of the % to be uppercase" you mean
    after the %?
    If so this should work

    =IF(LEFT(A1)="#",UPPER(MID(A1,1,2))&LOWER(MID(A1,3,255)),IF(LEFT(A1)="%",UPPER(A1),LOWER(A1)))

  5. #5
    jezzica85
    Guest

    Re: Combining formulas

    Thank you very much, that works. The other thing I've been trying to figure
    out is if there's a way to delete the % or # in the cell after this
    calculation is over. Is there a way to do that too? Thanks again, if you
    don't know that's OK, you've already been a great help!

  6. #6
    jezzica85
    Guest

    RE: Combining formulas

    Never mind, I was proactive and actually did it! I think that formula you
    put up got me on the right track. Thanks again so much!