Breaking Ties in Ranking

  1. #1
    Zainuddin Zakaria
    Guest

    Breaking Ties in Ranking

    I want to RANK students' position in class according to their "Total Mark"
    in Column AN.
    I use the following formula to do the ranking.

    =RANK($AN$7:$AN$56,$AN$7:$AN$56)

    If the "Total Mark" is the same for two or more students, then RANKING must
    now be based on their 'Grade Point Average' which is listed in in Column AM.

    If the 'Grade Point Average' is also the same, the rank should now be based
    on marks the students score for COURSE A in Column AL.

    Can someone suggest a formula for that?

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Peter Aitken
    Guest

    Re: Breaking Ties in Ranking

    "Zainuddin Zakaria" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I want to RANK students' position in class according to their "Total Mark"
    > in Column AN.
    > I use the following formula to do the ranking.
    >
    > =RANK($AN$7:$AN$56,$AN$7:$AN$56)
    >
    > If the "Total Mark" is the same for two or more students, then RANKING
    > must
    > now be based on their 'Grade Point Average' which is listed in in Column
    > AM.
    >
    > If the 'Grade Point Average' is also the same, the rank should now be
    > based
    > on marks the students score for COURSE A in Column AL.
    >
    > Can someone suggest a formula for that?
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    First of all, the formula you give won't work. The first argument has to be
    the single number you want to rank, not a list.

    I think you will have to create two ranks, then combine them.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Breaking Ties in Ranking

    See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rank.htm .

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  4. #4
    Queensland, Australia

    Ranking on a number of criteria.

    Zainuddin,

    Add a column before the one you're currently ranking in. Let's assume the other two scores for ranking are in columns AO and AP, and change your current formula to this one.
    =RANK(AN7,$AN$7:$AN$56)+rank(AO7,$AO$7:$AO$56)/100+rank((AP7,$AP$7:$AP$56)/10000)

    This will give a number like 1.0345, indicating a rank of 1 in the first criteria, 3 in the second criteria (first two decimal places) and 45 in the last (3rd and 4th decimal places).

    Then use the new column you added to rank these scores. This will give you your overall rank, with no ties!!

    e.g If a student was ranked 4th, 5th and 12th, and another student ranked 4th, 5th and 11th, their combined numerical ranks would be 4.0512 and 4.0511. The latter would rank first, as you want it to.

    Hope it helps.

  5. #5
    Zainuddin Zakaria
    Guest

    Re: Breaking Ties in Ranking

    Thank you so much Random1970. I appreciate your kind help. I will try it out
    in a short while.

    "random1970" <[email protected]> wrote