Cell format problem

  1. #1
    Barb
    Guest

    Cell format problem

    We import results into Excel 2003 from third party software. One column is
    populated with identifiers such as 3B2, 3C2, 3E4 etc. Any identifiers that
    have an "E" in them convert to Scientific Notation (3.00E +04)
    inappropriately. I click on the column and format the number type for the
    column to be "General", which then converts the Scientific Notation to a
    number (e.g. 30000). We correct the number to 3E4 but it then reverts back
    to Scientific Notation. When we check the format of the cell it has switched
    from General back to Scientific.

    How can we avoid this and get the spread sheet to accept the format 3E4 or
    4E1 or whatever it should be?

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Cell format problem

    The simplest way, if you have control of the third-party software, would be
    to export the identifies with a preceding apostrophe, i.e. '4E6, '3B4, etc.
    This would not show in the Excel cell (or in a printout) but would force the
    item to be text.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Cell format problem

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:33:04 -0800, "Barb" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >We import results into Excel 2003 from third party software. One column is
    >populated with identifiers such as 3B2, 3C2, 3E4 etc. Any identifiers that
    >have an "E" in them convert to Scientific Notation (3.00E +04)
    >inappropriately. I click on the column and format the number type for the
    >column to be "General", which then converts the Scientific Notation to a
    >number (e.g. 30000). We correct the number to 3E4 but it then reverts back
    >to Scientific Notation. When we check the format of the cell it has switched
    >from General back to Scientific.
    >
    >How can we avoid this and get the spread sheet to accept the format 3E4 or
    >4E1 or whatever it should be?

    The solution is to format the column as TEXT **before** you import.

    The best way to do that will depend on exactly how you import your data.

    --ron

  4. #4
    Barb
    Guest

    Re: Cell format problem

    Thanks for the suggestions and I will explore these options with the third
    party software - however I believe we have limited control over this. In the
    meanwhile, how can I correct the incorrect values back to the appropriate
    values? Excel seems to revert back to Scientific each time we type an
    identifier containing an E. I would think this would be possible but will
    use the apostrophe as a work around unless I hear otherwise.

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Cell format problem

    Since you did not mention exactly how you import your data, it is not possible
    to advise you as to how to best avoid the problem. If you care to share that,
    there may be some solution available without modifying the third party
    software.

    That is why I wrote that "The best way to do that will depend on exactly how
    you import your data."

    If the identifiers with the "E" only consist of a single number in the range of
    1-9 prior to the "E" (in other words, 1En, 2En, 3En, ...; but not 10En) and
    where 'n' is any number, then you could use this formula to convert the
    entries:

    =SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(E1,"0E+0"),"+","")

    However, as you can see, the allowable data is pretty limited.

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:38:14 -0800, "Barb" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the suggestions and I will explore these options with the third
    >party software - however I believe we have limited control over this. In the
    >meanwhile, how can I correct the incorrect values back to the appropriate
    >values? Excel seems to revert back to Scientific each time we type an
    >identifier containing an E. I would think this would be possible but will
    >use the apostrophe as a work around unless I hear otherwise.
    >
    >"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:33:04 -0800, "Barb" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >We import results into Excel 2003 from third party software. One column is
    >> >populated with identifiers such as 3B2, 3C2, 3E4 etc. Any identifiers that
    >> >have an "E" in them convert to Scientific Notation (3.00E +04)
    >> >inappropriately. I click on the column and format the number type for the
    >> >column to be "General", which then converts the Scientific Notation to a
    >> >number (e.g. 30000). We correct the number to 3E4 but it then reverts back
    >> >to Scientific Notation. When we check the format of the cell it has switched
    >> >from General back to Scientific.
    >> >
    >> >How can we avoid this and get the spread sheet to accept the format 3E4 or
    >> >4E1 or whatever it should be?

    >> The solution is to format the column as TEXT **before** you import.
    >>
    >> The best way to do that will depend on exactly how you import your data.
    >>

    >> --ron

    --ron

  6. #6
    Karen M
    Guest

    Re: Cell format problem

    I'm having the same problem. We have an internal field that is 9 characters
    in length, and formatted: 3char '08' 3char.

    Example: type 61208E12 into a cell and it is reformatted as 6.12E+16. Can
    the conversion to scientific be turned off?
    Thanks,
    Karen

  7. #7

    Re: Cell format problem

    Preformat the cell as text. Then do your typing.

    Or prefix the entry with an apostrophe: '61208E12