Increment Cell Reference

  1. #1
    Perry
    Guest

    Increment Cell Reference

    I have a worksheet that starts with daily data, a date, then a dollar value,
    then there is weekly data that needs to reference the daily data and
    increment 7 rows each time. Every way I ahve come up with wants to increment
    by 1, I used OFFSET to move down 7 rows, but then the next weekly cell OFFSET
    increments the original reference by 1.

    The daily data references the previous day and then adds any changes. So
    for the weekly data, I need to just move my reference down 7 rows each week.

    Thanks,
    Perry

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Increment Cell Reference

    Hi!

    Is this a macro procedure you're describing or do you need help with a
    formula?

    I can probably help with a formula. (I'd need to see what you're using now)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Perry
    Guest

    Re: Increment Cell Reference

    It is not a macro procedure and there is no formula currently. The person
    before simply added 7 (in his head) to each subsequent cell reference. This
    is what I am trying to accomplish as example:
    A1 1/7/2006 B1 $1000
    A2 1/8/2006 B2 $1050 ...
    A8 1/14/2006 B8 $2025 ...
    A15 1/21/2006 B15$3000

    A100 =A1 B100 =B1
    A101 =A100+7 B101 should refer to B8
    A102 = A101+7 B102 should refer to B15

    For B101, OFFSET worked to move down 7 rows from B1, but I couldn't figure
    out how to then get down another 7 rows for B102 and contnue down 7 rows each
    time.

    Hoe that makes it more clear.

    Thanks,
    Perry

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Increment Cell Reference

    Try one of these in B100 and copy down as needed:

    =INDEX(B:B,(ROWS($1:1)-ROW($1:$1))*7+1)

    =OFFSET(B$1,(ROWS($1:1)-ROW($1:1))*7,,)

    B100 will equal B1
    B101 will equal B8
    B102 will equal B15
    B103 will equal B22
    etc
    etc

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Increment Cell Reference

    Ooops!

    Hold on there a second!

    This will work just fine:

    =OFFSET(B$1,(ROWS($1:1)-ROW($1:1))*7,,)

    This will cause a circular reference since it's being entered in column B:

    =INDEX(B:B,(ROWS($1:1)-ROW($1:$1))*7+1)

    Just change the range size of the INDEX function to something else:

    =INDEX(B1:B99,(ROWS($1:1)-ROW($1:$1))*7+1)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...