using network paths rather than drive letters in microsoft query

  1. #1
    samwardill
    Guest

    using network paths rather than drive letters in microsoft query

    I have set up an Excel sheet that retrieves data from an Access database that
    is stored on the local network. Microsoft Query stores the location of this
    database with reference to a drive letter (i.e. S:\database.mdb). This causes
    problems if another user tries to use the spreadsheet when the other user has
    their drive letters mapped differently. Is it possible to store the data
    source with the full address (i.e. \\server\path\database.mdb)?

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: using network paths rather than drive letters in microsoft query

    Hi

    This may cause problems otherwise. P.e. your network administrator decides
    to rearrange folder structure on server, or migrates your database to
    another server. With network resources mapped locally, you have only remap
    the source, when you use network paths, you have to redesign your queries.

    P.S. The best way is to reserve some drive letters for mapping widely used
    sources, and do mapping via script when user logges on. Then network admin
    must chenge script only.

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<at>tarkon.ee )

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Sam Wardill
    Guest

    Re: using network paths rather than drive letters in microsoft que

    Thanks for the tip. However, I still would like to use network paths rather
    than drive letters. If you or anyone else can advise how to do this I would
    still like to know.