entering negative time values in excel

  1. #1
    dona
    Guest

    entering negative time values in excel

    I need to enter a negative time value in excel but can't work out how to do
    it. Can anyone help?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: entering negative time values in excel

    First, you'll want to change to the 1904 date system.
    Tools|options|Calculation tab

    Then you can enter the negative time like:

    =-TIME(1,30,0)
    for -1:30 AM

    You could also use:
    =-"01:30:00"
    (but format the cell as time)

    Be aware that if you have dates in your workbook, they'll change by 4 years and
    a day.

  3. #3
    dona
    Guest

    Re: entering negative time values in excel

    Thanks for that, unfortunately I don't think that will help in my particular
    circumstances.

    This is for a time sheet that will be used by lots of people, most of whom
    will be Excel novices. They will need to be able to enter, for example
    -01:00, if they have worked 1 hour less than their conditioned hours.

    I think I need some way of formatting the cell that that either positive or
    negative time values can be entered.

    Unfortunatley it is also not a cell that could be populated with a formula.

    Any suggestions?

  4. #4

    Re: entering negative time values in excel

    I don't have any other suggestions.

  5. #5

    Re: entering negative time values in excel

    Use multiple cells?

    One for the time and one for +/- indicator and then one that combines the two?

  6. #6
    dona
    Guest

    Re: entering negative time values in excel

    Thanks, I will try that.