random numbers

  1. #1
    Randi R
    Guest

    random numbers

    How do I generate random numbers from a normal distribution in excel? I want
    to generate a set of random numbers with a normal distribution of
    (mean=162.7, standard deviation=6.2)

  2. #2
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: random numbers

    Go to Tools, Data Analysis, Random Number Generation and choose the
    distribution giving your required mean and standard deviation. The mean and
    standard deviation of the list generated will not be exactly the same as
    those you entered. First multiply every item by the required standard
    deviation divided by 6.2. You will now have the required standard deviation.
    The mean will also have changed. Add the required mean minus the new mean to
    every item.

  3. #3
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: random numbers

    Randi R -

    > How do I generate random numbers from a normal distribution in excel? I
    > want to generate a set of random numbers with a normal distribution of
    > (mean=162.7, standard deviation=6.2) <

    For a dynamic worksheet function approach, in general use

    =NORMINV(RAND(),Mean,StDev)

    and for your specific case

    =NORMINV(RAND(),162.7,6.2)

    Both NORMINV and RAND are numerically improved in Excel 2003 (and NORMINV is
    considerably slower).

    For more info, browse to Google Groups and search for "Excel random normal"
    (without the quotes).

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

  4. #4
    David J. Braden
    Guest

    Re: random numbers

    No No No No No!
    Do NOT use ATP for any of its stat functions, unless you want to
    demonstrate the degree to which MS can demonstrate total ineptitude when
    it comes to long-standing (since 1990, at least) problems with many of
    its functions (core worksheet functions, as well as those supplied by
    the analysis ToolPak).

    PopTools is a free add-in that will do the trick; unlike MS, its author
    is good about documenting what's going on (he uses the very modern
    Mersenne Twister for the underlying variates).

    Many of us who write add-ins for this stuff use a Box-Muller algorithm
    when the variates aren't from a truncated distribution; I assume the
    (IMO excellent) commercial package Crystal Ball approaches this
    differently, given its age.

    There are more free add-ins out there for what you request, but none I
    have seen are as well documented, and modern, as PopTools.

    HTH
    Dave Braden

    --
    Please keep response(s) solely within this thread.