date in Excel displays incorrectly when merged in letter

  1. #1
    Feather 52
    Guest

    date in Excel displays incorrectly when merged in letter

    We are trying to mail merge from Excel. One of the fields we want to use is
    a date field. In Excel, the date displays correctly in the cell (i.e.
    September 1, 2001); but in the function bar at the top of the page, it
    display 9/1/2001). So, when it merges, it has the 9/1/2001 on the letter.
    How do we get it to display correctly in mail merge? We've tried the Custom
    feature from the category list.

  2. #2
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: date in Excel displays incorrectly when merged in letter

    Feather 52 wrote:
    > We are trying to mail merge from Excel. One of the fields we want to
    > use is a date field. In Excel, the date displays correctly in the
    > cell (i.e. September 1, 2001); but in the function bar at the top of
    > the page, it display 9/1/2001). So, when it merges, it has the
    > 9/1/2001 on the letter. How do we get it to display correctly in mail
    > merge? We've tried the Custom feature from the category list.

    You need to put some date formatting codes in the merge field.

    \@ "MMMM, d yyyy"

    should do it.