Upgrade problems...

  1. #1
    keithp
    Guest

    Upgrade problems...

    I am trying to help someone upgrade their pc...they have been using Windows
    2000 with Office'97 and have a number of Excel worksheets containing data
    they need to move as well. the new machine has Windows XP (Pro) and Office
    2000..

    When we try and move the spreadsheets the format is all wrong and we get
    various error messages...Is there an easy was to do this that we don't know. ?

    Help would be really appreciated.

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Upgrade problems...

    "keithp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I am trying to help someone upgrade their pc...they have been using Windows
    > 2000 with Office'97 and have a number of Excel worksheets containing data
    > they need to move as well. the new machine has Windows XP (Pro) and Office
    > 2000..
    >
    > When we try and move the spreadsheets the format is all wrong and we get
    > various error messages...Is there an easy was to do this that we don't
    > know. ?
    >
    > Help would be really appreciated.

    When you try and move them the format's all wrong? Do you actually mean you
    encounter problems when copying the files to the new machine? Or, when
    opening them in Excel 2000? And, please provide the actual text of the error
    messages.

  3. #3
    Doug Kanter

  4. #4
    Doug Kanter

  5. #5
    keithp
    Guest

    Re: Upgrade problems...

    2. the documanet is corrupt and cannot be openedWe have copied the files onto
    the new pc which we are then trying to open with Office 2000 - I also have
    copies of them them on my machine which runs Office 2003, have tried that as
    well, with no success.
    The messages I get either say that :
    1. The file format is not valid or
    2. the document is corrupt and cannot be opened ...a few of the sheets will
    open but the data appears unformatted..like this

    body
    {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    background-color: white;
    }

    /* Be nice to netscape 4 */
    body, p, div, span, ul, li, dl, dd, dt, ol, td, h1, h2, h3, h4
    {
    }

    All running down the first column....

    Any idea's ?

  6. #6
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Upgrade problems...

    Do you still have the original machine with Excel 97? If so, do they open OK
    there? And, what hardware did you use to copy from one machine to the other?