Paste Special and Linking

  1. #1
    ajkim001
    Guest

    Paste Special and Linking

    Trying to do a copy and paste special into a new sheet that is linked to
    another (contains formulas). However, I get a different dialog box. Instead
    of the default (paste special) window with radio buttons where I can select
    the the type of paste and operation, and there are skip blanks, transpose,
    and paste link options... I
    get a window (w/ same name "paste special" title) that says As: with a list
    of
    options, a display as icon box, and a results section on the bottom saying
    "Inserts the contents of the clipboard into your document..." What is this
    different Paste Special box and how can I get the default/original one? I am
    using Office 2003 (occured in 2000 also, but was hoping an upgrade would fix
    the issue).

  2. #2
    MarkN
    Guest

    RE: Paste Special and Linking

    I think this is happening because you are opening two versions of Excel. If
    you open one of the Excel files and then use File, Open and navigate to the
    other, you should then see the standard Paste Special box.
    --
    Hope this helps,
    MarkN

  3. #3
    Paul Lautman

    ajkim001 wrote:
    > Trying to do a copy and paste special into a new sheet that is linked
    > to another (contains formulas). However, I get a different dialog
    > box. Instead of the default (paste special) window with radio
    > buttons where I can select the the type of paste and operation, and
    > there are skip blanks, transpose, and paste link options... I
    > get a window (w/ same name "paste special" title) that says As: with
    > a list of
    > options, a display as icon box, and a results section on the bottom
    > saying "Inserts the contents of the clipboard into your document..."
    > What is this different Paste Special box and how can I get the
    > default/original one? I am using Office 2003 (occured in 2000 also,
    > but was hoping an upgrade would fix the issue).

    From where are you copying?

  4. #4
    ajkim001
    Guest

    Re: Paste Special and Linking

    I copying from a file created in Excel2000, but opening it in Excel2003.

    FYI~ this problem occured prior to the Excel2003 upgrade. So at the time I
    was running only Excel2000.

  5. #5
    ajkim001
    Guest

    RE: Paste Special and Linking

    Good Point... But I am opening the file in Excel 2003 and from there
    clicking File/New, so it should be opening the new sheet in 2003.

  6. #6

    Re: Paste Special and Linking

    Are you sure you're trying to open both workbooks in the same instance of
    excel--not just the same version.

    If you open excel, then file|open your first workbook, then File|new, you really
    get that "funny" paste special dialog?

  7. #7
    ajkim001
    Guest

    Re: Paste Special and Linking

    Yes, I am opening the previous and new file in the same instance of Excel.
    As I had mentioned in another response... I've been experiencing this problem
    when running only one version of Excel 2000.

  8. #8

    Re: Paste Special and Linking

    I've only seen that problem when trying to paste from a different
    application--even a second instance of excel.

    I'd say try it again, but that would sound too pushy <vbg>.

  9. #9
    ajkim001
    Guest

    Re: Paste Special and Linking

    No worries. I appreciate your advice nonetheless. I will try to continue
    troubleshooting the problem, but it is strange how this occurs randomly.
    Also, the fact that it happened prior to running 2 versions of Excel.