data validation and drop down lists

  1. #1

    data validation and drop down lists

    All: I have problem with getting a drop down list to work.

    In cell A1 I have a Data Validation list that refers to a named range "directions". "directions has 5 rows, row 1 is blank, row 2 "north", row 3 "south" row 4 "east" and row 5 "west"

    in cell B1 I have another data validation list that uses the following: "INDIRECT(A1)", which will only select the values in the named range of either "north", "south", "east', or "west"

    what I want to do is have cell B1 refer to a named range "other" if row 1 (blank entry) is selected in cell A1, and refer to the other named ranges if their direction is chosen. Any sugestions?

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: data validation and drop down lists

    Hi!

    Use this as the source:

    =INDIRECT(IF(A1="","other",A1))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks, I knew that it would be a simple solution, but I am just learning rxcel and some times the simole things are the hardest.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: data validation and drop down lists