Macro problem in Excel

  1. #1
    pd
    Guest

    Macro problem in Excel

    Hello folks. Cant say that I know much about macros. I am a computer support
    technician trying to help someone who also does not have a strong
    understanding of macros. I'll get right to it. The way this was explained to
    me was that a macro was created in excel file #1. I am told that (and I have
    observed this) when you open excel file #1 and excel file #2 (no macro
    created in #2) and then go back to file #1 and click tools > macro > macros
    you should see the name of the macro created already there and you should
    just be able to click the "run". But the name of the macro is not there and
    the "run" button is greyed out. Again, this is how I am told it is supposed
    to work. Does that seem right? I am told that for some reason that Excel is
    not recognizing that file #1 has macros. I have opened those same files on 2
    other machines with Excel 2003 and achived the same results. The only machine
    that this works on is the original machine where the macro was created which
    also has excel 2003. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Please do
    not be hesitant to take me to beginners level on this. Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: Macro problem in Excel

    Just a guess...

    When you open both files are you sure that they are both open in the same
    instance of excel? I'd open the first (any way you want), but then use
    File|open to open the second. Don't double click on it in windows explorer.

    Another way to check to see if both workbooks are open in the same instance.
    Click on Window and notice the files that are listed at the bottom of that
    dropdown. If you see one (but not the other) when you do it from both
    workbooks, then it sounds like you have multiple instances of excel running.

    If you want to change the behavior when you double click on a file in windows
    explorer so that it'll open in the existing running instance...

    Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
    the file in windows explorer:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  3. #3
    Duane Reynolds
    Guest

    Re: Macro problem in Excel

    My Guess since it only works on the original machine that wrote the macro is
    the macro got stored in the personnel.xls workbook instead if spreadsheet 1.

    Duane
    news:[email protected]...