recovering deleted excel file from server

  1. #1
    Jason
    Guest

    recovering deleted excel file from server

    I recently deleted an excel from the server. What are the steps to recover
    the deleted file?

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: recovering deleted excel file from server

    It depends on whether or not your IT staff has a robust and diligently
    maintained backup system, and whether or not your file was on the
    server during a maintenance window when such a backup would be
    performed. You need to talk to someone on your IT staff.

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: recovering deleted excel file from server

    Hi Jason,
    A polite note or phone call to your data administrator requesting restore from last night's
    backup, and letter from your manager that no other systems are affected.

    I expect that person is you, since you deleted it from the server.

    Someone might be able to recover all or most of a deleted file from hard drives, but it
    is not part of Excel, and if you don't recover the entire file unlike a flat file listing, it
    probably won't do you much good. You might look in the same directory for a backup
    file .bck or .bak extension if your Excel was set up that way when a Save As was done
    like when the file was originally created. Also look for files with names in hex that do
    not have an extension.

    . http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: recovering deleted excel file from server

    Actually, the last fewl versions of Excel have used the *.XLK extension for
    "always create a backup" files.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP