Countif ?

  1. #1
    MT
    Guest

    Countif ?

    I want a summary count of two criteria. (count if type = a and class =1)

    In one column type is stored and in another column Classification is stored.

    I want the know how many type a, classification 1 exist

    I was trying to use countif, but can't seem to figure out how to do it for
    two criteria. can you use AND??

    =COUNTIF(Sheet1!E:E,"IC")

  2. #2
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: Countif ?

    MT wrote:
    > I want a summary count of two criteria. (count if type = a and class
    > =1)
    >
    > In one column type is stored and in another column Classification is
    > stored.
    >
    > I want the know how many type a, classification 1 exist
    >
    > I was trying to use countif, but can't seem to figure out how to do
    > it for two criteria. can you use AND??
    >
    > =COUNTIF(Sheet1!E:E,"IC")

    You say that your criteria are a and 1 yet your COUNTIF contains IC???

    Are your types and classes in separate columns? If so where?

    What actually are your criteria values?

  3. #3
    jcc
    Guest

    RE: Countif ?

    Fluke, but I just happened to look into it this morning!

    What you actually want is multiple-condition formula. If you seach Excel
    Help under "Sum", there is a great explanation of how to Sum using multiple
    conditions. I do not know why the multiple-condition formula option does not
    show when you seach "Count", but it does not.

    Basically, the key difference is that you have to use an array formula
    (another thing I learned this morning). The most important thing to remember
    with an array formula is to use brace brackets {} around the entire formula.
    You do this by either manually entering them, or by holding CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER
    after you finish typing the formula.

    The formula you use should look like this:

    {=COUNT(IF(($B$4:$B$8=$A24)*($E$4:$E$8=B$20),$C$4:$C$8))}

    Where A24 is the first condition you want met; B4:B8 is the column in which
    you want this condition to be found; B20 is the second condition you want
    met; E4: E8 is the column you want this condition to be found; C4:C8 is the
    column you want counted.

    Some items of note: I used reference cells, but if you want the condition to
    be a word, you can just type in "Apples" instead of A24 or B20. Also, I have
    found the exact column to be counted (C4:C8) to be somewhat irrelevant so
    long as it is any column in your array of data.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest