I want to select every other column

  1. #1
    JS
    Guest

    I want to select every other column

    I would like to know if there is a function where I can select a column, skip
    a column, and select again, etc. without doing manually, because I have more
    than a thousand columns to go through.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: I want to select every other column

    Hi

    Excel only has 256 columns. Do you mean rows?

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: I want to select every other column

    Excel currently has a maximum of 256 columns!

    --
    AP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    JS
    Guest

    Re: I want to select every other column

    Oh yes, it is true...I meant many columns...
    JS

  5. #5
    ufo_pilot
    Guest

    Re: I want to select every other column

    http://www.andrewsexceltips.com/my_utilities.htm
    Download Andrews Utilities (add in)
    This thing does that and a whole lot more...

  6. #6
    Guest

    Re: I want to select every other column

    Just so I understand your problem, why do you need to select alternate
    columns/rows (still don't know which from your answer)? <vbg>
    It may guide us to the best way of helping you.

  7. #7
    JS
    Guest

    Re: I want to select every other column

    OK, I meant I have 1000 columns of data, so I will use 4 worsheets! Is there
    still a way to do what I want?
    JS

  8. #8
    Max
    Guest

    Re: I want to select every other column

    If you mean select alternate rows, try this:

    In an empty col, say, col E
    enter into E1:E2: x, y
    then select E1:E2 and drag down to row1000
    (this will fill col E with alternating x,y,x,y,x,y ... )

    Click Data > Filter > Autofilter

    Select x from the droplist in E1
    to get the filtered rows with "x", i.e. rows 3,5,7,9, ...

    Now you can select the filtered "blue" row headers
    (include the top row also),
    and paste all these rows only somewhere else

    Repeat likewise if required by selecting y from the droplist
    (rows 2,4,6,8, ...)
    --
    Max
    Singapore