Graphical Representation

  1. #1

    Graphical Representation

    Hi,

    I am creating a dinner event layout using excel. The names of all diners are keyed into individual cells. may i know if there is a way which i can create a graphical representation of tables and the names to each seat. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Graphical Representation

    Select a shape
    Click in the formula bar, and type an equal sign
    Click on the cell that contains the name for that shape.

    There's an example here:

    Under Data Validation, look for Seating Plan.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3

    Graphical representation

    Thanks Debra
    Your recommendation is very useful. I hope to be able to click on a button and all the diners will be assigned to the individual seats. Some of these tables contain between 12 to 15 seats. The reason for easy assigning is to facilitate the assignment process where changes might occur a few minutes before the start of the diner. There are approximately 1000 diners for this dinner. Thanks!

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Graphical Representation

    Hi cityinday......
    I doubt with 1000 diners, that you will be able to come up with a Graphical
    Representation that would show each diner's name by their respective seat,
    no matter how you got them there, in any printable size that would be
    readable.....so, I would suggest you create a floorplan drawing, either in
    Excel or wherever, just numbering each Table and each seat at each
    table...for instance a particular diner's assignment might be "Table 3,
    Chair 12", or "3-12, or something like that. It may even already exist.
    Then in Excel you can have your list of names and in an adjacent column you
    could put =RAND() and copy it down that column. Then you could sort on that
    column and the names would sort with it and be in a "random" order. Then in
    the next adjacent column you could insert the Table-Chair assignments. This
    would give everyone a Chair......then re-sort on the Name column
    alphabetically, so you can find an individual when seating them.....the fun
    part would be to then have a thumbnail printout of the layout with the
    individuals seat location specified, "Table 3, Chair 12", and then
    highlighted in color on the thumbnail for easier location.

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "cityinday" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Graphical Representation

    Thanks for the advice. It is very helpful. Using color for easier location is very useful.