Consecutive numbers

  1. #1

    Consecutive numbers

    Can someone tell me, is there an easy way to fill down the first column with consecutive numbers?

    Thanks
    James

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Consecutive numbers

    James

    Sure, enter 1 in A1 and 2 in A2 and then select both cells and drag the
    'fill handle' (The small square in the bottom right of the selected cells)
    as far as you want. This will increment the numbers...does the same for
    dates, days of weeks or even numbers t the end of words, e.g. test1, test2,
    etc

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    "JamesChamp" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks a ton Nick!!

    James

  4. #4
    One more question... I tried usuing that trick with web addresses like so,

    www.address.com/ab.001.htm
    www.address.com/ab.002.htm

    but all it wanted to do was list 001 and 002 alternately over and over.
    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    James

  5. #5

    Re: Consecutive numbers

    Put this in the top cell:

    ="www.address.com/ab." & text(row(a1),"000") & ".htm"

    Drag down (and convert to values--so that when you insert/delete rows, your
    addresses don't change.

  6. #6
    Thanks Dave!! It worked great.

    James