Random List Sorter

  1. #1

    Random List Sorter

    I am looking to "shuffle a deck" of 100 numbers in a list and only have this list reshuffle when I hit a button (not everytime a re-calculation is done within the worksheet). So far I have been able to get the following:

    Column A1:A100 = the list of values to be sorted
    Cell B1 =INDEX(A:A,RANK(C1,$C$1:$C$100))
    Cell C1 =RAND()

    Cells B1 and C1 are then cut and pasted down to cells B100 and C100 respectively

    This does the job, but everytime excel recalculates, the shuffle changes. How do I avoid this?

    Seth

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Random List Sorter

    Seth:

    I'd use a Pivot Table for this.

    Here's how:

    A1: MyList
    A2:A101 (your list of numbers)

    B1: SortSeq
    B2: =RAND()
    Copy that formula down through B101

    Select A1:B101
    Data|Pivot Table
    Use: Excel......Click the [Next] Button
    Range: (already selected)......Click the [Next] Button
    Click the [Layout] button

    Drag the SortSeq field to the ROW section
    Dbl-click that field
    Set subtotals to: None
    Click the [Advanced] button
    Set Autosort to: Ascending
    Click [OK] twice

    Drag the MyList field to the ROW section (under SortSeq)
    Dbl-click that field and set subtotals to: None

    DATA: Drag the MyList field here
    Dbl-click that field and set the function to COUNT

    Click the [OK] button
    Select the location of the Pivot Table
    Click the [Finish] button

    No matter how many times the workbook recalculates, the pivot table will
    only be altered when you right click on it and select Refresh.

    That's because Pivot Tables work with an internal COPY of the source data
    and not the actual source data.

    Is that something you can work with?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    vandenberg p
    Guest

    Re: Random List Sorter

    Hello:

    Get rid of column B. Just the 100 numbers in A1:A100 and in B1:B100 put
    the =rand() formula.

    Now just sort A1:B100 on column B. Each time you want a new order just
    sort again.

    For a more automated feature:

    You can record a macro to this if you wish. Just turn on the macro recorder
    and go through the steps of selecting the area and then select Sort and
    column B.

    You can put a button on the spreadsheet from forms toolbar and assign the
    macro to it. Then you just click.

    Pieter Vandenberg

    Sethnstorm <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I am looking to "shuffle a deck" of 100 numbers in a list and only have
    : this list reshuffle when I hit a button (not everytime a re-calculation
    : is done within the worksheet). So far I have been able to get the
    : following:

    : Column A1:A100 = the list of values to be sorted
    : Cell B1 =INDEX(A:A,RANK(C1,$C$1:$C$100))
    : Cell C1 =RAND()

    : Cells B1 and C1 are then cut and pasted down to cells B100 and C100
    : respectively

    : This does the job, but everytime excel recalculates, the shuffle
    : changes. How do I avoid this?

    : Seth

    : --
    : Sethnstorm