Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

  1. #1
    CrawdadSolstice
    Guest

    Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    I have done this several times in the past, but don't do it often. I have an
    Excel spreadsheet that I need to save in DBase IV format, but when I try, it
    cu ts off all of the columns to the right of what I can see on the screen
    when I go back into the DBF file. Any assistance on this would be greatly
    appreciated.

  2. #2
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    "CrawdadSolstice" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    >I have done this several times in the past, but don't do it often. I have
    >an
    > Excel spreadsheet that I need to save in DBase IV format, but when I try,
    > it
    > cu ts off all of the columns to the right of what I can see on the screen
    > when I go back into the DBF file. Any assistance on this would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    How many columns are in the original sheet?

  3. #3
    CrawdadSolstice
    Guest

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    Doug,

    The original spreadhseet has 15 columns, of varying widths with all of the
    header text entered. I eve went so far as to place a number in the second row
    cells. Every time I save the file to the Dbase format, it is cut back to the
    first three columns, the header names are shortened and the second row data
    is gone.

    Thanks for your response to my post.

  4. #4

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    Maybe...

    Excel keeps track of the rows in your database file in a range name called
    "Database"

    You could delete it and excel will figure out what to use.

    Or you could just change it to point at the new range.

    Insert|names|define
    is where you'd find either option.

  5. #5
    CrawdadSolstice
    Guest

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    Dave,

    That did the trick. Thanks loads for your expert assistance. Now, if I can
    only remember this for next time!!

  6. #6
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    "CrawdadSolstice" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Dave,
    >
    > That did the trick. Thanks loads for your expert assistance. Now, if I can
    > only remember this for next time!!

    How about creating a Word doc containing tips collected here?

  7. #7
    CrawdadSolstice
    Guest

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    Doug,

    What would I do with the document I create? I think you have an excellent
    idea, but want to be sure I am posting what you are asking fo in the proper
    location.

  8. #8
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    Umm....give the doc a name you'll remember, like MyComputerProblems.doc, and
    refer back to it for answers you've found over the years. As you suggested,
    these problems tend to happen repeatedly, and it's sometimes hard to
    remember how you fixed them a year ago.

  9. #9
    CrawdadSolstice
    Guest

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    Dave,

    I wasn't trying to determine what to name the file, but where to post it
    once I have it ready.

  10. #10
    Doug Kanter
    Guest

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    Oh boy. You don't post it. You save it on your hard disk so you can refer
    back to it later.

  11. #11
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Saving Excel file in DBase IV format

    XLSX2DBF is an Excel 2007 add-in that helps convert and/or save a native DBF file that was edited with Excel 2007.

    Two common scenarios are supported:

    A) Open a native DBF file in Excel 2007 – Make changes – Save as a native DBF file with the changes.

    B) Open/create an Excel file that looks like a database (headers/columns/rows) – Save as a native DBF file.

    http://thexlwiz.blogspot.com/

    Gyula