how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

  1. #1
    Bendgee
    Guest

    how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    I started several workbooks that I do not want now I have removed the content
    but how do I delete the workbook name?
    --
    Bendgee

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    Close the workbook first, then go to open, right click on the workbook name
    and select delete. HTH
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  3. #3
    Bendgee
    Guest

    RE: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    I tried Michael but nothing seems to work, the problem I have that where it
    says open workbooks the titles (or tabs) are there but there is no workbook
    ---how do I remove the name that is there?
    --
    Bendgee

  4. #4
    Bendgee
    Guest

    RE: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    tried it still have workbook names--titles --tabs whatever they are called
    the names are under the title that says OPEN WORKBOOKS there is no
    workbooks but the titles are still there and I just want to remove them,
    anymore suggestions?

    --
    Bendgee

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    Another guess at this.......you want to clear the Recently Used file list from
    File menu.

    Go to Tools>Options>General and set the RUF List to 0 and OK.

    List now gone from File menu.

    You can reset to a number if you wish.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    I'm sorry, Bendgee, I don't quite understand the problem. Where are you
    seeing "open workbooks (or tabs) - on the taskbar, recently used files on the
    file menu, when you go to file>open?
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  7. #7
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    Thanks for the tip, Gord. I hadn't thought of that one.
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  8. #8
    Bendgee
    Guest

    Re: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    Gord that sounds like what I want to do but, I have 4 files there and I
    don't want to delete the one file any suggestions
    --
    Bendgee

  9. #9
    Bendgee
    Guest

    RE: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    Michael
    Sorry but I'm new at this , What happened is that I tried 3 times to do a
    cost layout of my utilities, I opened a new workbook each time, finally on
    the fourth workbook entery I have what I want, Now I went back and removed
    data from workbooks that I don't use but their names still show up when I
    select file or under the heading open workbooks,, I DON'T want to lose the
    good file that I have they all have seperate names, any suggestions

    --
    Bendgee

  10. #10
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    Bendgee, it sounds like my original suggestion will work. First, if the
    files you don't want are still open, close them. Next, go to File > Open and
    click on the file you don't want with the right mouse button and a menu will
    appear. Click on delete and the file will be gone. If by chance you delete
    the wrong file, open the recycle bin on your desktop and drag the file out.
    I hope this helps.
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  11. #11
    Bendgee
    Guest

    RE: how do I remove titles of workbooks in excel?

    Michael: still have a problem, when I try to open any of the workbooks that
    I had originally started but removed everything but the title. my computer
    says that it cannot find them and to check and make sure that they have not
    been moved ,renamed or deleted. When I go to the dropdown menu ( under new
    from existing workbooks) the titles do not appear they seem to be gone ,
    what I want to do is remove the titles ,but I can't seem to find a way.
    -- the computer won't let me do anything with them.

    Bendgee