comparing names in a list

  1. #1
    ferde
    Guest

    comparing names in a list

    I have two very long lists of student names in one worksheet. The names in
    A1:A500 is the master list. The student names in B1:B200 have successfully
    passed their exam. I would like to know which student names are NOT in the
    second list by comparing it to the master .
    A1:A500 B1:B200 Answer= John and Steve
    Joe Joe
    John Sally
    Steve
    Sally

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: comparing names in a list

    One way ..

    Put in C1:
    =IF(A1="","",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,B:B,0)),"",ROW()))

    Put in D1:
    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(C:C,ROW())),"",
    INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(C:C,ROW()),C:C,0)))

    Select C1:D1, fill down to A500

    Col D will return the required results,
    all neatly bunched at the top
    (items in col A not in col B)
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: comparing names in a list

    oops, typo in line:
    > Select C1:D1, fill down to A500

    should read as:
    > Select C1:D1, fill down to D500

    (fill down to the last data row in col A)

  4. #4
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: comparing names in a list

    I would insert a helper column to the left of column A and enter
    =COUNTIF(B1,C$1:C$200)

    Then copy down to row 500. This will return 0 for anyone who does not
    appear in column B.

    You could then use a filter to identify the 0's in column A. You'll
    probably need column headers to use the autofilter. You could then
    copy/paste your filtered list to another sheet.

  5. #5
    ferde
    Guest

    Re: comparing names in a list

    Max...I cut and pasted the formulas and corrected for the typo and the
    results are bundled nicely like you promised all at the top of the column D
    ...but the results are inaccurate . I get names in Column D from the master
    list A1:A500 but their names are not in column B because they did not pass
    their exam.

    I am wondering if there is an error in the formula but I dont understand how
    you figured it out. please help

  6. #6
    ferde
    Guest

    Re: comparing names in a list

    Max... My error... I did it right this time , forgot to remove the headers.
    Thank you so much for this wonderful formula. It is going to save me alot of
    time.

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest