converting Minutes to Seconds

  1. #1
    Roger
    Guest

    converting Minutes to Seconds

    Hi,

    How do I convert 1:10 in one cell to 70 seconds or just 70 in another
    cell.

    Or better yet; is there a way to enter 1:10 into a cell and have it
    change to 70 automatically? Can this be done without a macro?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Paul Lautman
    Guest

    Re: converting Minutes to Seconds

    Roger wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I convert 1:10 in one cell to 70 seconds or just 70 in another
    > cell.
    >
    > Or better yet; is there a way to enter 1:10 into a cell and have it
    > change to 70 automatically? Can this be done without a macro?
    >
    > Thanks.

    1:10 is 1 hour and 10 minutes
    00:01:10 is 1 minute and 10 seconds

    To convert the former to seconds ,multiply it by 86400

  3. #3
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Although 1:10 is, in fact hours and minutes you can still display as 70 by custom formatting as [m]

  4. #4
    Roger
    Guest

    Re: converting Minutes to Seconds

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:43:03 -0000, "Paul Lautman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Roger wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> How do I convert 1:10 in one cell to 70 seconds or just 70 in another
    >> cell.
    >>
    >> Or better yet; is there a way to enter 1:10 into a cell and have it
    >> change to 70 automatically? Can this be done without a macro?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >1:10 is 1 hour and 10 minutes
    >00:01:10 is 1 minute and 10 seconds
    >
    >To convert the former to seconds ,multiply it by 86400

    Thanks I made a mistake. What I want to do is enter one minute and
    ten seconds into a cell without having to enter (00:1:10:0) and have
    it come out as 70 seconds. I want to enter either 110 or 1:10.

    Can that be done?

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Roger
    Guest

    Re: converting Minutes to Seconds

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:13:04 -0600, daddylonglegs
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Although 1:10 is, in fact hours and minutes you can still display as 70
    >by custom formatting as [m]

    I appreciate the help guys, but I still can't get it.

    I've fiddled with all the custom layouts, but nothing is working.

    I'm open to any and all suggestions.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: converting Minutes to Seconds

    You can do either.

    1. To enter 1:10 in one cell (say A1), and have it convert to 70 (seconds) in
    another use:

    =a1*60*24

    2. To enter 110 in A1, and have it convert to 70, use:

    =int(a1/100)*60+mod(a1,100)

    In both cases, format the cell as a number

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Roger
    Guest

    Re: converting Minutes to Seconds

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:01:23 -0600, "Fred Smith"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You can do either.
    >
    >1. To enter 1:10 in one cell (say A1), and have it convert to 70 (seconds) in
    >another use:
    >
    >=a1*60*24
    >
    >2. To enter 110 in A1, and have it convert to 70, use:
    >
    >=int(a1/100)*60+mod(a1,100)
    >
    >In both cases, format the cell as a number
    >
    >--
    >Regards,
    >Fred

    Thanks, Fred.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Say that 1:10 is in cell A1 then input this formula in cell B1 BUT format cell b1 as general.

    =A1*1440

  9. #9
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: converting Minutes to Seconds

    If I have a lot of times to enter in m:ss format, I find it more
    convenient to enter them as m.ss and then have a formula to convert
    this format. If you entered 1.1 in cell A1 (meaning 1:10 - you don't
    need to enter the zero), then this formula in B1 would give you 70
    seconds:

    =INT(A1)*60 + MOD(A1,1)*100

    The formula can be copied down column B and then the times can be
    entered in decimal in column A. You can pre-format column A to 2 dp so
    the times look similar.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  10. #10
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Although 1:10 is, in fact hours and minutes you can still display as 70
    >by custom formatting as [m]

    I appreciate the help guys, but I still can't get it.

    I've fiddled with all the custom layouts, but nothing is working.

    I'm open to any and all suggestions.

    Thanks
    use Format > Cells > Custom and type [m] in the box. Now if you enter 1:10 the cell will display 70 - no formula required! Although this is technically minutes, not seconds, it works fine for display and if you need to use the value for calculations any adjustment can take place in the formula for that.