Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

frequency of occurance of all words in 2-D array

  1. #1
    Richard
    Guest

    frequency of occurance of all words in 2-D array

    I have 2D array (size 100 x 50,000) of single-word text values (all single
    words).

    First, I need to determine all unique words contained in this 2-D array.
    Then I need to count the number of times each word is found in the 2-D array.
    --
    Richard

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: frequency of occurance of all words in 2-D array

    Richard,
    Try this:

    Sub UniqueEntry()

    Dim i As Long
    Dim arr
    Dim coll As Collection
    Dim counts() As Long

    Set coll = New Collection

    Set rngValues = Range("a1:d40") ' <=== your range

    arr = rngValues

    For j = 1 To Ubound(arr,2)
    For i = 1 To UBound(arr,1)
    On Error Resume Next
    coll.Add arr(i, j), CStr(arr(i, j))
    Next
    Next j

    ReDim counts(coll.Count)
    For i = 1 To coll.Count
    counts(i) = Application.CountIf(rngValues, coll(i)) '<== counts for
    each entry
    Next i

  3. #3
    Toppers

  4. #4
    Toppers

  5. #5
    Richard
    Guest

    RE: frequency of occurance of all words in 2-D array

    Toppers,
    Worked perfectly.
    Some of the commands are over my head, but I will search web for specifics
    on the commands I didn't understand.
    Thanks so much.
    --
    Richard

    "Toppers" wrote:

    > Richard,
    > Try this:
    >
    > Sub UniqueEntry()
    >
    > Dim i As Long
    > Dim arr
    > Dim coll As Collection
    > Dim counts() As Long
    >

    > Set coll = New Collection
    >
    > Set rngValues = Range("a1:d40") ' <=== your range
    >
    > arr = rngValues
    >
    > For j = 1 To Ubound(arr,2)
    > For i = 1 To UBound(arr,1)
    > On Error Resume Next
    > coll.Add arr(i, j), CStr(arr(i, j))
    > Next
    > Next j
    >
    > ReDim counts(coll.Count)
    > For i = 1 To coll.Count
    > counts(i) = Application.CountIf(rngValues, coll(i)) '<== counts for
    > each entry
    > Next i
    >
    > End Sub
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > "Richard" wrote:
    >
    > > I have 2D array (size 100 x 50,000) of single-word text values (all single
    > > words).
    > >
    > > First, I need to determine all unique words contained in this 2-D array.
    > > Then I need to count the number of times each word is found in the 2-D array.
    > > --
    > > Richard

Closed Thread