How to make a macro present in all workbooks?

  1. #1

    How to make a macro present in all workbooks?

    Hi, does anybody know how can I make a new macro just recorded appear in all workbooks ?

    I tried creating a template called Book.xlt in the proper directory and then I recorded the macro in that file, i saved as a template but it didn't work ...

  2. #2

    Re: How to make a macro present in all workbooks?

    Instead of putting the code in every workbook, you may find it easier to create
    a workbook that stores all your macros.

    If you won't share this file with others, then call it personal.xls. If you
    share it with others, call it KayardsUtils.xls.

    Store it in your XLStart folder.

    Then when excel starts, this macro workbook will be opened and you'll be able to
    access the macros.

    By dedicating a workbook to hold the macros, you won't have millions (er, 10s)
    of files that need to be updated when the routine should change.

    And to give you/users a way to run that macro, I'd either use stuff added to the
    worksheet menubar or a dedicated toolbar.

    I really like the way John Walkenbach does it in his menumaker workbook:

    Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
    (from Debra Dalgleish's site)